Thursday, February 04, 2010

Unleashing my inner drummer


When my marriage ended, early last year, I went on a subconcious quest to do as many cockamanie things as I could.  One of the first things I did, was take a trapeze swinging class.  That ended after only 1 session.  I had full intentions of doing it for fun, but when I discovered that my trapeze mates were 3 13 years olds who were 2 steps away from auditioning for Cirque de Soleil, I slinked away with my bleeding toe. 

Since then, I've had boudoir pictures taken, made out with a guy 10 years younger than me in a pool in Thailand (he was Spanish and cute, like I had any chance of resisting?), went on a  3 week trip to South America where I went paragliding and finished the trip with a tatoo 2 hours before my flight home. 

So, it makes perfect sense that I continue on this cockamamie adventure.  What started out as distractions to help me forget what happened, make me feel desirable and alive, seems to be continuing.  So, tomorrow, as an early birthday present to myself, I'm taking drum lessons.  I've secretly always wanted to be the cool chick in a rock band banging away on the drums.  I have no illusions that I'll be any good, let alone in a band.  But somehow, it's fitting that now that I'm comfortable in my own skin (after going thru such hell) that I at least slightly attempt to pursue this.  I just hope the instructor doesn't laugh me out of the studio!

In my mind, I'll be the hot (tatooed) edgy chick.  A la Sheila E.  More likely, I'll end up looking like Animal from the muppets!  I have confirmed with the instructor that it is a private lesson, so I know I won't be showed up by any 13 year old Melissa Auf Der Mer want to be's. Thank god.  It was all I could do to pick up my ego (& bleeding toe) out of the circus gym that day after trapeze class...

No comments: