Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Only in Switzerland...


Every country has its quirks.  There’s no doubt.  When I lived in Canada, you could only buy alcohol at a liquor store.  In Ontario, they went even further and beer was bought at the beer store (a store which was literally a giant beer cooler) and alcohol at the liquor store.  Liquor stores were never open on Sundays or holidays (they’ve since changed that some in the tourist areas)  When I lived in Germany, it was full of quirks.  Too many to mention actually, and I’ve tried to forget most of them.
The Great Beer walk in cooler that is the Ontario Beer store.
Switzerland is no exception and has it’s own quirks.  For all intents and purposes, I consider Switzerland a collection of small towns.  The entire population of Switzerland is just over 7.5 million people, even by Canadian standards, that’s not a lot of people.  The biggest city is Zurich which has about 500,000 people, or about the size of the German town I lived in which everyone complained was so small.

Yes, Switzerland is efficient and clean and I love it for that.  For the most part, it’s quirks don’t bother me because what I love about living here, far outweighs it’s quirks.  So, what are some of Switzerland’s quirks (or more specifically, Switaly…)

-       laundry day.  I’ve gone on about this before, but the idea of a set laundry day is… quirky (not to mention inconvenient)  I’m “lucky” because my laundry day is Sunday morning: a day I stand a chance to be home.  I’ve heard of friends and colleagues who have their laundry day on a Wednesday afternoon from 1-5pm and have had to take time off to do their laundry until they can negotiate a better time with their landlord or neighbors.
-       Car inspection-  so far, everything about transferring my life to Switzerland has been pretty seamless (couldn’t say the same about Germany…) however, transferring my German car to Switzerland was a pain in the ass.  Majorly.  My favorite part of the ordeal was this:  In order to go thru Swiss inspection, they first needed to have my engine shampooed.  You know, so they could inspect a clean engine.  My car is 2 years old.
-       Quiet time- it’s not weird to have a quiet time at night to not to disturb your neighbor.  What’s weird is to have the activities specifically listed.  For instance, I’m allowed to have a shower in the middle of the night, but only if it’s less than 10 minutes.  And a late night bath? Don’t even think of it!


Not all of Switzerland’s quirks are bad.  For instance, a few months ago, one of my friends called me in a panic.  In her jetlagged state, she dropped some important papers in the garbage.   Would I be so kind to come and help her fish them out.  Now, Swiss garbage, in it’s goal to be neat and clean, drops from street level to a pit below the sidewalk.  Knowing this, I prepared us just the tool for the occasion (thank you 1 year of college mechanical engineering)  The tool I came up with was foolproof.  Almost.  If not for the pouring rain and the wet papers in the garbage and the extra sticky lint roller not being so sticky in the rain, it would have worked.  I suggested calling the city in the morning to see if they had any solutions.  The next day, she gets on the phone to the city and they tell her “well, usually we pick up the garbage on Wednesday, but we’ll be there in an hour to help you”  2 friendly workers came out, unloaded the garbage and helped her pick thru it.  She was really apologetic for calling them out and they would have none of it.  They said they got calls every week of people accidentally dropping keys, passports, you name it.  In what other city in the world would this happen in?  Exactly none, that’s where.  If you dared to that in Vancouver, they’d laugh at you and tell you to dive in.

2 broomsticks taped together for length- extra sticky lint roller at the end so documents could be rescued.  Flawless- almost

 Living overseas is a constant learning experience and putting up with some pretty bizarre rules and customs (most of which you only discover after breaking them).  In Germany, washing your car on a Sunday was verboten.   A lot of the rules don’t make sense especially if you come from North America, where you can pretty much do anything whenever you want.  Yes, I hate that I have to plan my life around errands (most grocery stores close around 6- or the same time I finish work)  but as long as Switzerland keeps it’s quirks to a minimum, I can deal.

No comments: