Saturday, October 28, 2006
I'm in India for work for two and a half weeks. Some would say this sounds glamourous but let me assure you, it's not. I'm criss crossing most of the south going to such places as Chennai (or Madras as some call it), Madurai, Bombay (or Mumbai, or better, what I call the armpit of the world), Indore and Tirupur. India, I'm sure has it's charm (once I find it, I'll let you know) Nonetheless, it's an interesting place and I've learned a few things along the way. Such as:
- the sideways head bob (popular in the south) can be used to convey just about anything. I've tried to decipher it and so far I've come up with the following meanings; "yes" "no" "maybe" "I have no clue" "I don't care" "please stop talking to me"
- marble (used extensively in India) is very slippery. Especially when wet, and espcially when you are here in the monsoon season and happen to be very clumsly like myself.
- goats are a pack animal. How do I know this? well, they never sleep on the street alone, always in a group. Also, goats, like cows are effective speed bumps (since they always lay in the middle of the street)
- peacocks are agressive. I almost got attacked by one.
- gods won't hear your music, no matter how loud you chose to play it. WHY? because they are made of stone!(the locals play loud, shrilling, screeching music to the deities in the shrines, to amuse them apparently)
- nothing should take 500 years to build. (this temple I visited yesterday did)
- elephant trunks are uncomfortable and prickly (see above picture)
Wish me luck, I have almost two more weeks of this!
Tuesday, October 03, 2006
Meet the "OhMiBod". It's a vibrator powered off your ipod. But wait, there's more! Get this: it vibrates to the rhythm and intensity of your music. That makes me laugh... can you imagine listening to the White Stripes or any angry white boy music? you'd just about blow yourself up!!! You can even join their "club vibe" where
OMB users can instantly (and anonymously) become part of a fun, hip community called CLUB VIBE (ohmibod.com/clubvibe), where other OMB aficionados write about their experience, trade tips, share their favorite playlists, and more. Log into iTunes and search "OhMiBod" under the iMix section and see what music is turning other people on and purchase those songs quickly and easily!
So for fun, I checked out one of the playlists that would best "rock your body". Some songs on the playlist were "Crazy Love" (Van Morrison), "Sweet Jane" (Cowboy Junkies), "Crash into me" (Dave Matthews). (I was pleased that no heavy metal made the list)
I think the ipod is one of the great inventions ever, and now it has an added bonus! who knew?