Sunday, February 14, 2010

Victim of marketing

When I'm browsing through the liquor store, looking for a new bottle of wine to try, I look at a number of factors: country, grape, price and looks.  Not necessarily in that order. I would much rather buy a bottle that I know is good, but if I'm going blindly, any of those single items can lead me to try it. 

Case in point.  I was looking to stock up the wine rack and pick out some I knew were good, and went blindly on some others.  I bought one bottle purely on looks.  The label was pretty and the name was cool.  The name? Bitch.  How can I not love a wine with a title like that? and with a pretty pink label and cap, I was sold.  Bitch is a South Australian Grenache with an alcohol content of 15.5%.  So I was expecting a big flavorful wine.  My disapointment started right when I poured it into a glass.  It was light in color and almost opaque.  I poured my girlfriend a glass and we tried our first sip.  eeew. weak, watery and unflavorful.  What a disapointment!  I should know better, the prettier the wine bottle, the worse the wine.  What a disapointing bitch!

No comments: