Wednesday, June 30, 2010

World tour- 2010

Be careful what you wish for.  I've learned this over the years.  I've learned that that guy Murphy and his laws exist for a reason.  I love to travel.  I always have.  It doesn't matter that my first time on a plane at the age of 6, a piece of sattelite broke the cockpit window, the plane decompressed and had to make an emergency landing in London, England (the flight was from Llubjana to Montreal).  Ever since, I've had the travel bug.

I love that my job involves international travel.  Usually, twice a year, I get to go on a plane and work in some pretty random places: be it India, Israel or industrial towns in China.  Even though I've travelled a ton, I still get excited going to the airport.  However, after 2009, I was determined to "pace" my travel a little.  2009 was a busy travel year even for me!  Looking back, I spent most of 2009 either packing or unpacking, jet lagged or getting over jet lag. 

It started with a trip to Cozumel, Mexico in January, after that a business trip to China in April, another business trip to China and Thailand (with a week for pleasure added on) in June, China again in September, and finally Chile and Argentina in November.  Add to that the stress of through a divorce and being a bridesmaid in my brother's wedding to the mix and you have what was an insane year.

So this year, I was determined that 2010 be a lot "calmer".  And it was looking pretty good... until now!  So far this year, I've only had one trip to Asia in April.  Then I added this exciting (albeit unexpected) trip to the Yukon.  And another business trip which I expected.  As it turns out, I get back from the Yukon and 5 days later hope on a plane and head to Hong Kong, China and Taiwan.  I was already wondering how I was going to survive the shock of going from zero civilization to Hong Kong when my middle brother announced he's getting married.  This September.  In Scotland.  I understand their urgency (visas etc...) and since our family is tiny, I really want to (and will be) there for him.  As it turns out, I'll get back from Hong Kong and 48 hours later, hop back onto a plane to head to Scotland.  When did life become this hectic?  and exciting? and most of all, how did I become such a world traveller?!?!?! Despite a full passport, it continues to baffle (and amaze) me....

No comments: