Monday, August 28, 2006

Disgustingly Fascinated



So next month, I'm off to India for work. I did it last year and to say it was interesting was an understatement. For starters, I wasn't ready for the sheer heat and humidity. I'm not kidding when I say I got off the plane and my glasses fogged up because they literally did.

Since I was going for work, I didn't get to see any of the "pretty" places such as Goa or the Taj Mahal. I saw factory towns in India and Mumbai. Mumbai is known for having the largest slums in Asia (and also the world) I think the reason that most of the international flights arrive in the middle of the night is so you literally can't see the slums (as they are right beside the airport runways)

This year, I will actually have some time to spend in Mumbai so I was looking up some things to do while in India. I came across this For the equivalent of $14Cdn, you can take a day tour of the slums (80% of the funds goes to a NGO to help run the school in the slums) My first instinct is "for God's sakes, WHY!" and then I became fascinated... I've seen them from the streets and from a car, but I've not had a reason to venture deep into them... what would I see? what would it be like? would it be life changing? A friend of a friend (who is Indian) recommended that I


"wear light coloured full sleeve shirt and full pants, NOT shorts & t shirt. Canadian immunity is no match to the bacteria found in Mumbai.
Also, do not eat or drink at the slums. "


at 40C, I'd be hard pressed to wear a long sleeve shirt and pants, I may as well wear a biohazard suit! I also like the "do not eat or drink at the slums" see the problem is I have a hard time eating ANYTHING in India! It's not that it's bad, it's just that I'm a picky (aka boring) eater and I'd rather jump out of a plane than try new foods! (besides, they have a love of masala spice in India which everything starts to taste like after two days)

It remains to be seen whether or not I will actually visit the slums (shopping in the markets may win out) but I'm sure it would be interesting!

No comments: