Thursday, January 27, 2011

Moving to Germany!

After months of planning, thinking and saying goodbye, the day had come for me to get on the plane and make the biggest move of my life: to Nuremberg, Germany.

Saying goodbye was hard.  Conciously leaving your friends, family, co-workers and newly met guy of my dreams behind was emotional.  For a fleeting moment, I wondered why on earth I was making this move when I was leaving a pretty good life behind, but as much as I was going to miss friends, family, co-worker, guy of my dreams, I knew this was something I had to do.

So after an emotional and tearful weekend of goodbyes, I was on the plane. With Lucy and 3 suitcases of my earthly possesions.

We got picked up by the relocation consultant.  One of the things that makes this move bearable is that I get essentially a "personal assistant" for 6 months.  The relocation consultant's job is to find me a place to live, do all of the work permit/tax card/registration running around, help me buy a car and basically help me get settled into life. 

After dropping off Lucy and my baggage, it was time to look at the first apartment.  Talk about no time for jet lag to set in or to pine for the life you left behind! Tuesday was packed full with apartment viewings, picking out health insurance, personal insurance, dog insurance (Germans sure like their insurance! There's even glass insurance) and town hall registration.

My head is still reeling from all that's going on, but after 3 days, I "may" have found a place to live.  It's a cute 1 bedroom apartment in a great residential neighborhood walking distance to the old city and the castle.  fingers crossed!

No comments: