Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Moving day

As I type, there are 3 men loading all of my worldly possesions into a moving truck.  As exciting as this new prospect is, there is something quite melancholy to see all your life's possesions be packed away not to be seen for months.  I've been in this place for just over 6 years which is amazingly, the longest I've been in any one home.  As many times as I've moved, I've only had movers once.  These movers have been hired to not only load my stuff but pack it.  It is a little odd to see 3 burly guys pack your nighties away, but other than that, I'm enjoying my post on the couch watching as they work.

For the first time during this experience, I've experienced fear.  Well, more like scared shitless.  I'm giving up absolutely everything/everyone I know for a new life in Germany.  Thing is, my life here is/was pretty good.  No complaints.  Good job, good family, good social circle, the works.  But when this opportunity came along, I know I couldn't pass it up.  Yes, it'll do wonders for my career, but the experience of living and working overseas is something I've wanted to experience.  Thing is, doing it (alone nonetheless) is one hell of a nerve wracking experience!   I have no doubt this will be an amazing experience and I'm not getting cold feet.  But there is something to be said for abandoning everything you know when it's not that bad to begin with....

1 comment:

nancy (aka moneycoach) said...

WOW, Katherine! WOW. Germany! I'm so excited for you. AND CAN I COME VISIT?
I so relate to you. Granted, Yellowknife is not Germany but it still seems like a world away from Vancouver.
I went through many ups and downs, and you likely will too. Ultimately I seem to have found a balance I'm really happy with and Yellowknife has been really good to me.
I think in life it is good to toss ourself with abandon into change once in a while. We stretch and grow (and cry) and discover new strengths.
Keep blogging. I will want to hear about it (and please upload photos too.)
Best, best wishes from a fellow traveller.