Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Camels and Christmas Markets


The firepit and quaintness of the medieval market
Last month, the mothership landed for a 3 week visit. One of the many places we went was to a Christmas market. Well, by the end of 3 weeks, it would up being like 15 christmas markets.


One of the first Christmas markets we went to was a medieval one at a castle. Only things that were historically relevant were sold. So basically, you could buy pelts and chainmail outfits. I have to say though, it was quite quaint. There were little firepits to keep warm, handmade candy, large chunks of meat grilled on a stick and flute music. Oh, and camels.

Where the camels come in, I’m not quite sure. Last time I saw a camel it was in Israel and that seemed reasonably appropriate since it was near a desert. What camels were doing at a Christmas market in Germany is beyond me, but there they were! And for a few euros a ride, you could ride one. Because I grew up as a city girl, I’m greatly fascinated by animals. So I just had to ride a camel! The first time I met a camel, I found him rather stinky and the second time confirmed it. He was rather warm beneath my thighs though (god, that sounds so dirty…)

My ride!
After my ride, I posed for a photo op with said camel. My mom wasn’t as excited by the camel as I was and she certainly wasn’t up for riding one. Nonetheless, I got her to pose with one. Now, when I posed with the camel, I got all up next to him and hugged him. My mom wasn’t feeling it. She had heard all about how camels spit so she didn’t trust him one bit. I should also mention she’s hesitant to approach the camel because he well… just urinated and missed her feet by inches. Nonetheless, I’m egging her on to approach the camel for a photo op. She’s cautiously approaching him when I realize that the entire area where we’re standing has just turned into a medieval German theatre production complete with actors and lights. And at that exact moment, I snap the picture. And what a picture it is. After taking the picture, I realize that my mom and the camel are giving each other what can only be described as the BEST side eye! The way they appear to both be sizing each other up is just priceless.

My ride and I (note the smile on both of our faces...)


The Mothership, on stage, side eyeing the camel (complete with cigarette in hand and camel onlooker!)


No comments: