Monday, May 28, 2012

I live on vacation


For the first time today, the magnitude of where I live hit me: I live on vacation.  Well, at least I live in an idyllic vacation land.  You see, I don't actually get to BE on vacation, but I get to LIVE in a vacation spot.  The reality of it is that I have to actually work (and work a fair bit, the Swiss work week is 42 hours a week)

The amazing thing is, before the prospect of this job came up, I didn't know much (or anything) about Lugano and as it turns out, it's a pretty well kept secret.

Lugano is a town of only 75,000 people.  But at this time of year at least, it doesn't feel small.  Probably because only about 10% of the land is livable.  About 75% of the land is hilly/mountainous and 15% of it water.  Driving around here is a challenge.  I've gotten lost countless times and getting lost here means finding yourself on top of a mountain or on the edge of a lake.  The town next to me is called Paradiso.  I get lost in Paradiso constantly.  There are worse things than getting lost in paradise.

I can go on about how beautiful it is here, but I'll let the pics speak for themselves.

This is the view on my commute to work
I got lost.  Took a wrong turn in Paradiso and this was the view I had.


A little village, minutes from where I live.

6km from my house.  In Valsolda, Italy.

Another pretty village with no shortage of overlake patios.

It's a dog's life...

No comments: