Sunday, October 07, 2012

Grocery shopping in Louboutins

Depending on your perspective, one of the "quirks" about living in Southern Switzerland (or as I like to call it, Switaly) is the way people dress.  

Because Lugano is a big banking center (3rd after Zurich and Geneva) People here have money.  And because it's a 45 minute drive to the fashion capital of the world, Milan, people like to dress.   And by dress, I mean spend more on one pair of shoes than the amount I shell out for rent.  Considering that I went to fashion school, I don't mind it.  For the most part.  In Bavaria, for the most part, fashion consisted of overbearing large scarves (that could double as neck braces) and skinny jeans.  In Vancouver, well, uggs and yoga pants were pretty much invented there.  So yeah, even though I've gone to fashion school, I haven't exactly been on the cutting edge of fashion.

I can't say that I've been overly conscious about the clothing I wear for the past 20 years or so, until I moved here.  Sure, there are times when I like to dress fashionably, but most of those times involve the evening and a glass of wine.  I see women here dropping their kids off to school and grocery shopping in Christian Louboutin shoes!  It's unnerving.  I say unnerving because I'm usually at the grocery store on a Saturday morning in my yoga pants, t-shirt and sans makeup (no uggs thankfully)  So at the risk of looking like the local homeless person, now, I "actually" have to think about what I wear to the grocery store.  ugh.  far too much work!


No comments: