Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Awkward. Dating with a dog.



I love my dog.  I've had her since she was 8 weeks old.  She's a Jack Russell/Schnauzer.  When I got her, I knew that because of her breed, she'd be a handful to raise.  Well, a handful is an understatement.  In the past 4 and a bit years since I've had her, I've experienced every up and down there is in a dog owner's world:  joy (the amazing tricks and intelligence she has), fear (eating a bottle of vitamin E pills, falling down a 50ft cliff) anger (you can't find a more stubborn breed) and comfort (there's no better feeling than coming home to her) and now: embarasment. 

You see, my dog has a very unnatural love of males.  Electricians, plummers, my brothers, friends, you name it.  This has now extended to males I date.  If I meet a guy, I make sure I tell him about my dog.  I mention her many neuroses, as well as all her quirks that make her fun.  However, nothing can quite prepare anyone for a night over. 

Four years ago when I got her, I tried to crate train her.  However, the incessant crying all night got to me after a few nights.  In a moment of weakness (and extreme tiredness) I relented and she jumped into bed.  I've been trying to get her out ever since!

I've tried every tactic known to man. Bribes, comfy dog beds, angora blankets, anything to make not my bed more comfortable than my bed.  Nothing's worked!  I even hired a dog psychologist to address this (and some of her other issues)  For the past few months, I've been reasonably sucessful.  Lucy is now the proud owner (and sleeper) of her very own dog bed! 

I've been super encouraged that this new turn of events will help any future relationships.  However, I recently had someone stay over and all my training went to hell!  The night before (and night after) she was the perfect angel.  Sleeping away in her bed.  I even had the bedroom door open.  The night this someone stayed over, she just sat beside him and stared at him (like he was a raw steak I might add)  I locked her out of the bedroom but she wouldn't stop crying at the door and using her paw to scratch at the door.  All. Night. I assured my someone that this wasn't normal (anymore) I don't think he bought it.  I can just hear him now talking to his friends "cool girl, crazy dog".  I wonder if I'll ever hear from him again...

No comments: